FabLounge in Deventer

(Sorry, in Dutch)
29 februari was een FabLounge georganiseerd in het Kunstenlab in Deventer. Een avond met demo’s van kunstenaars met 3d printers (met diverse materialen) en een levensgrote 3d scanner van 4ddynamic uit Antwerpen. Dat is leuk speelgoed! Meteen een scan van mezelf laten maken, natuurlijk!
AKA chuck norris
Er is sprake van het openen van een FabLab in Deventer (eind dit jaar). Dat zou goed nieuws zijn! Kijken of ze nog wat handjes kunnen gebruiken.

Read the rest of this entry »

Ultimaker firmware tests

I had some problems with fills not reaching the edge of the print, so I did some testing with the available firmware versions. I took a “random” file from thingiverse (Dutch handcuff key), generated a gcode file and printed that same gcode file on three different firmware versions.

5D: good quality, takes 11 minutes.
Sprinter build 1: reasonable quality, takes 11 minutes.
Marlin build 3: poor quality, takes 7 minutes.

The speed of Marlin distorts the print. I can grok that. The difference in quality between the default 5D and the Sprinter firmware I cannot explain yet.

I will do some more testing with different files to print and do more firmware comparison (adjust feedrate with Marlin for example).
For now, I am back to the default 5D, as I need to do some quality jobs first.

Ultimaker mods

What are the first things you make with an Ultimaker? Improvements for the Ultimaker of course!

Improving Z-axis end stop accuracy

Z-axis end switch fine adjustment, created by GeneralRulofDumb for fine tuning the point where the head touches the plateau.

NOTE: this will require an extra hole to be drilled in the backplane of the printer.
The hole is drilled at the same distance as the distance between the slits and should be in the middle of the slit. PS. Hold your Dremel tight, otherwise the hole will grow too large.

Improving cooling

Ultimaker Fan Shroud V3, created by cello-ch for improving the airflow of the cooling. The supplied cooling case does a reasonable good job, but it came apart and ruined one of the prints.

This might be the next improvement here.

Improving plateau stability

I lost one of the springs of the plateau support screws, so I used a nylock bolt instead. This turned out to work much better than the springs, so I removed all springs and replaced them with nylock bolts (and washers, so the screws can still be turned to fine tune the level of the plateau).

Ultimaker mods ideas

I will be documenting some mod(-ideas) here.

RGB led lighting

Ikea has a nice set of RGB leds. Adding those to the insides of the Ultimaker (z-axis) and hooking them to the Arduino, can give some nice effects.

  • Have the color move from blue to red, linked to the temperature of the head.
  • Have the axis be represented by a color. X = red, Y = green, Z = blue. Depending on the position of the head, the color will change.
  • Have the color change from blue (waiting for printjob) to red (printing) to green (finished printing).

Ultimaker sandjob

Sanding the Ultimaker really brings out the beauty of the wooden panels (hint on the ultimaker assembly guide). The burnmarks disappear completely. I might skip the paintjob all together…

Update: sandjob is finished. Tonight I’ll start assembling the frame.